Thursday 15 December 2011

It's We, The People

I of late came across a discussion on government, politics and corruption(reminds me of Love Sex and Dhokha :P). It covered various things-from waste management to population to greedy cannibals ruling the country. Nearly all these debates narrow down to one conclusion-"The Government should make stricter rules".

I say-what rubbish. The people, i.e, we want both freedom and strict rules! Come on, we're citizens, not children. It's like we want strict supervision, but lots of freedom. We want the government to enforce stricter rules when we don't realise that we are the ones to follow them. When something adverse happens to our society, we want someone else to intervene and impose regulations on us! But when it's actually done, it'd seem like our freedom is questioned. So what does this mean? Can't we take care of ourselves? Do we need rules to lead a moral life? This seems like we are demanding our parents to buy loads of clothes for us and not wearing them at all. What will you do with the rules? Keep them in your wardrobe?

I'm not taking the government's side for heaven's sake. It's just that I feel lower than a human, who's supposed to be the most evolved and intellectual creature on earth. Given our extra-ordinarily designed brains, we shouldn't wait for something good to be announced as a compulsory regulation. Everyone knows this. Everyone wants to be right - but not alone.
For instance - we see a lot of neglected garbage heaps in the (apparently) garden city. People crib that the government has not appointed enough cleaners and workers, or better still, (other) people don't have civic sense. Well they don't realise that they're a part of such people too! And as for cleaners,  they are meant to clear the public dustbins time and again and not clean up your crap all your way on the road.
I am amused by the way unappreciated traits of others set the trend at times. If 2 or 3 people, say, throw waste at one spot(be it a corner of a field or the middle of the road), the rest throw their bit of waste at the same place. Remember, it's not their fault - it's the people who started it. When asked, they go "Others have thrown it here, so it must be a designated place.". If at all objected, they go "Who cares, all others would throw here, and I won't make a difference!
Chill, you don't have to bring about a revolution. It's okay if you don't make a difference. At least you would know that you are not the kind to litter your city just because others have.
When the anti-corruption fever was on high rise in the country a few months back, lot of anti-corruption, anti-government slogans were sung patriotically in unison by the country. I'm sure half of them would have bribed someone or the other at some point of time in their life. Half of them took part in the rallies as an excuse to bunk college.(I've even had some batch-mates say things like "I seriously don't know what Lokpal Bill is for, but I felt patriotic when I went there!" "It was fun!". Now, how 'fun'ny is that?)
Here too, you want a Lokpal Law to check corruption, but you don't want to stop corrupt practices yourself. Again - I'm not at all for corruption or against Lokpal.But it's just that I want to check myself before I point at the Government.
Rules are best implemented when keenly self imposed. The change should start from oneself. Why wait for others, why don't you change yourself? For all you know, someone else out there might be waiting for you to change!
You don't have to be an NGO or a cop or a social server to do good things. You are your own government. Go for it.

I know I sound like I've lived Gandhi's life. I shamelessly agree that his post applies to me too.
Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment