Monday 28 March 2011

Function overloading >> Mal-function


I just saw a pamphlet when I was opening the newspaper. It was about Handwriting classes.
I requote, "HANDWRITING CLASSES". Those were unheard of for me till I came to 10th. All I had heard of were music class, dance class, drawing class.

Pity my nieces and nephews. Pity myself too.
Kids are not kids anymore. They are very busy during weekdays, and get busier during weekends. At the age of 5, they become responsible, as they bear the aspirations of their parents on their shoulders. What not they have? School, homeworks, music classes, dance classes, HANDWRITING CLASSES and so on. While parents want their kid to become a superkid to excell in all possible co-curricular and extra curricular activities ALONG WITH STUDIES, they unknowingly deprive them of their childood. "The world is getting more and more competitive" is a mere excuse. I was not put into classes at the age of 5,nor was I mollycoddled by my parents. Yet I envy my cousins who were born in the '80s and '90s. They know what childhood is. They know that childhood is all about school, play, cartoon(that too good ones, not these newly emerging dumb ones, like the new T n J series :-/ ) and enjoy. They had not heard of Internet when they were 15. Yet they have come up a long way in their career.

This is what once happened in my dance class:
"My daughter(5 years old) is very interested in dance. She starts dancing everytime we play a song! Please take her as you student."
"Sorry she's too young." said my teacher, firmly.

Now, she's a five year old. One moment she will be Madhuri Dixit and the next moment she will turn to Lady Gaga. Things like music and dance are literally "a child's play" to her, and not an art or a talent. She makes some movements out of her sheer joy, and Mummy thinks she has got hidden talent in her. How ridiculous!

Parents these days, from what I have observed, look for fame than talent. They believe "where there is fame, there is talent", so want fame first. They don't realise it's the other way round. They don't care if their superkid is just an average singer, but they will feel proud to see them on the Idiot Box in a reality show (Reality? Really??).
But it's not the same with Karate classes. They not only teach methods of self defense to children, but also infuse self confidence in them.
These ever mushrooming classes only waste the parents' money. Give them their own time to discover their likes and interests. If children develop in some activity, let them explore it themselves. They have their own ways to do that. Don't admit them("Admit!") to classes and make the pre existing interest fade away.  Overloading can happen only in Java. Not in your kids.
Please don't make childhood a career.

No comments:

Post a Comment