Friday 12 August 2011

En route...

I have a hurried, limited(in one word: unenjoyed) breakfast. Then, I put on my bag and say Bye to Amma. And it all starts there - a (rather boring) journey of approximately 7 minutes. As I close the gate, I say Hi to Raja(or Kariya or whatever you want to call him - sweet doggie!):
Raja of the Street

Firstly, the whether outside is very cold then. I get to hear the harsh noises made by women sweeping the area in front of their houses. Residential as my area is, it is only houses that I get to see. And of course, some provision stores at random.
And I take my second turn. From now on, it is almost 1 straight road to Kumarans'(ignoring 2 minor curves). Usually, at this point, 2 or more dogs bark vigourously at each other. This road is relatively more active than mine. Ladies and Gentlemen of Padmanabhanagar prefer to have brisk walks here, at this time. It's time for grandpa's to go back home with their friends, after, or course, some gossip with their pals.
There's a very small playfield in this never-ending street. Here probably middle aged men of the neighbourhood play badminton with one another, and keeping all their household tensions aside for the moment, they chat, gossip and refresh. Opposite the field is a provision store where I sometimes encounter Rekha Mam. She castes one of her soothing, pleasant, sunshine-like smile at me, and sometimes even speaks to me, if possible!
Here you reach the journey's most pathetic part - the small bridge over the aromatic drainage. Everyday, when I get to cross the (so-called) bridge, I just can't stop myself from thinking "What if I lose balance and fall into this gutter one fine day?" And I go on, suppressing my stupidity.
Now I enter a narrow alley(believe me: There are houses even here.). And you can view the good(actually bad) old small white building.Once I cross the gully, I get a rear view of the main building of the college. Walk around 10 metres further and Lo! That's the building! The college canteen is not open so soon, but the Taatappa's bakery sometimes is. A few students, and of course Muttappa with his stick, are at the main gate and reception.
And that's all.

No no nooo! That's not all! I get a quick glimpse of my watch and try to look serious, rush up to the second floor and run to the Edge. Usually, the teacher is late *sigh*. So I sit on my chair, huffing and panting(Oh I've ran miles!). Actually out of this (approx.) 7 minute-journey, it is only while climbing up the stairs in a hurry that I hurt my leg. :-P

Well, that's the route to Education(college) for me. A few diversions in the beginning - uphill - slightly downhill - straight to destination(college again) - minor diversions in between - pleasant smiles and encouraging talks somewhere on the way(Rekha mam) - short, uncomfortable phase(the gutter and the gully) - the tiring last minute rush - and then - There You Are!!!
Destination
(Photo Courtesy: Anusha)

No comments:

Post a Comment